Skoda 4×4 Range Unveiled

Skoda 4×4 Range Unveiled

283
0

If you’re concerned about being stuck in the snow this winter then it’s a good idea to head down to your local Skoda dealer where their new range of 4X4 vehicles are on display and available now to test drive. Skoda’s 4X4 range are powered by the latest common rail Diesel engines coupled to the innovative Haldex Clutch that distributes drive between the front and rear wheels as required.

 Following the chaos created due to last winter’s driving conditions, ŠKODA aims to meet the needs of Irish motorists by providing mobility and safety through their 4X4 technology while maintaining low emissions and fuel economy. Low emissions and economy are key to affordability and Škoda’s range are sub 163 g/km ensuring the Octavia and Yeti derivatives all fall into Band-C with annual road tax of €302 while the Superb achieves Band-D with annual road tax of €447.  

Commenting on the launch of the 4X4 range by ŠKODA, Marketing Manager Raymond Leddy said, “The maneuverability and reliability of 4X4 driving was once the preserve of the large SUV. Increasing fuel prices and CO2 based taxation has since seen their popularity decline. ŠKODA’s 4X4 capability coupled with low tax band and fuel efficient Diesel engines offers an affordable alternative to traditional SUV’s this winter.

 The new 4X4 range is available across a number of ŠKODA models including:

Make Model Engine CO2 (g/km) Combined Fuel Economy (l/100km) Annual Road Tax RRP
Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI, 170 bhp 4×4 163 6.3 €447 €34,410
Skoda Octavia 1.6 TDI, 105 bhp 4×4 141 5.4 €302 €28,210
Skoda Octavia Scout 2.0 TDI, 140 bhp 4×4 155 5.9 €302 €31,815
Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI, 170 bhp 4×4 155 5.9 €302 €29,545
             

 People are encouraged to call in to their local Škoda dealer and test drive the new 4X4 models which will be available to test drive during an Open Week at local dealerships from the 1st – 5th of November. As an added incentive, those who undertake a test drive will receive a free winter driving pack which will be particularly useful coming in the months ahead.

The cornerstone to ŠKODA’S 4X4 offering is the application of the Haldex Clutch. During normal driving approximately 95% of the torque is delivered to the front axle and the remaining 5% to the rear.  When a given wheel or wheels lose traction the Haldex Clutch instinctively redistributes the torque to wheels that have traction. Four wheel drive combined with ESP stability systems enable ŠKODA 4X4 drivers to safely manoeuvre in difficult road conditions similar to what was experienced last winter.

 Leading the charge for ŠKODA’S 4X4 range is the ŠKODA Yeti 2.0 TDI 170bhp.

Residing in Tax Band C, the ŠKODA Yeti 4×4 results in an annual road tax of €302 for motorists.

 The ŠKODA Yeti 4X4 comes with a wide range of features as standard including:

›      7 Airbags including curtain airbags and a driver knee airbag

›      Bolero Touch Screen Sound System with Integrated 6-CD changer, SD and MMC card reader

›      VarioFlex – adaptable seating and transporting solution

›      17” Spitzberg Alloy Wheels

›      Dual Zone Climate Control

The Haldex Clutch Explained

 The rear-axle connection is controlled by the Haldex clutch control unit on the basis of signals from:

  • the engine control unit (engine speed and accelerator pedal position sensor)
  • the ABS/ESP control unit (wheel speed sensors, brake light switch, lateral and longitudinal acceleration sensors)
  • the steering wheel sensor

Pressure on the clutch plates is regulated by an electromagnetic valve based on instructions from the Haldex control unit. The necessary pressure in the system is generated by an electric pump. As a result, wheel spinning on one axle compared to the other is not a requirement for the operation of the clutch. For further information visit www.skoda.ie