During the 18th International Engine of the Year Awards held in Stuttgart, an international jury of journalists awarded the prize of ‘2017 Engine of the Year’ to the Citroën PureTech 1.2L 3-cylinder turbo petrol engine in the 1L to 1.4L category. For the third year in the row, the ‘2017 Engine of the Year’ prize confirms the commercial success of this accomplished petrol engine, which is available in 110 and 130hp (PureTech 110 S&S and PureTech 130 S&S). The facts:
· With over 850,000 units already produced in the industrial facilities of the Française de Mécanique manufacturing site in Douvrin (France) and in Xiang Yang (China) since its launch in 2014, this engine will also be manufactured at the Trémery plant (France) at the end of 2017 in order to meet the increase of the demand and double the production capacity for this engine in France. Annual production will exceed 1 million units by 2019.
· The PureTech 1.2-litre engine, in 110 and 130hp versions is fully deployed on over 90 vehicles applications in 70 countries.
· On the European market, the PureTech 1.2L 3-cylinder modular family represents a third of PSA Group’s total petrol and Diesel engines.
A greater performance and environmentally-friendly power unit
Recognised for its all-round driving performance, even at the lowest rpm, the PureTech 1.2L 3-cylinder turbo continues to evolve and will benefit from significant improvements before the end of 2017, with enhancements in efficiency, performance and fuel consumption (up to 4%):
· introduction of a petrol particulate filter to reduce emissions particles by more than 75% in anticipation of future 2020 regulation standards in Europe and China;
· optimisation of efficiency, due to the combustion cycle evolution and a 250bar fuel injection pressure;
· reduction in mechanical friction and introduction of a new turbocharger;
· making the engine more compact to optimise body aerodynamics (SCx gains).
Commenting on the award, Louise Murphy, Marketing Director, Citroën & DS Ireland, said: “We are delighted our PureTech petrol engines have again been recognised, which confirms the incredible performance and quality of our engines. With petrol regaining its significance and popularity in the Irish market, the announcement of this award will give customers confidence in the quality of engines available as demand continues to rise.”
For more information dont hesitate to log on to www.citroen.ie